Song Lyric Sunday was created by Helen Vahdati from This Thing Called Life One Word at a Time and author Jim Adams from A Unique Title For Me is our current guest host. For complete rules or to join in the fun, click here.
The theme for Song Lyric Sunday this week is “Listen/Hear/Talk/Speak.”
Anita Baker’s 1990 album Compositions, won the Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance at the 1991 Grammy Awards, and includes one of my favorite baker songs, Talk to Me.
The song is about the determination of men to be strong and silent, not showing emotions or sharing feelings about what they’re going through in tough times. The song is representative of the woman in a man’s life who knows he’s going through something and it’s damaging everything in his life. She simply tells him to talk to me.
- The song was released as the lead single in support of her fourth studio album, Compositions.
- The album peaked at #5 on the US Billboard 200 and was certified platinum in 1990, making it Baker’s third platinum selling album.
- Talk to Me became a top five R&B hit, peaking at number three on Billboard’s Hot Black Singles and number four on Adult Contemporary Songs.
- Anita Baker is regarded as one of the most popular singers of soulful romantic ballads during the height of the quiet storm period of contemporary R&B in the 1980s.
- Baker has won eight Grammy Awards and has five platinum albums and one gold album.
See my Song Lyric Sunday selection for Nesie’s Place!
Disclaimer: I have no copyrights to the song and/or video and/or hyperlinks to songs and/or videos and/or gifs above. No copyright infringement intended.
Talk to Me
by Anita Baker
Baby, baby, baby, baby
Please come inside from that storm
Stand where it’s warm
I can see, you’re in need, baby, please talk to me now
Baby, don’t hold this inside, relax your pride
Let it go, set it free, my baby talk to me now
Why don’t you tell me what cha goin’ through, darling
What’s wrong, wrong with you
Why don’t you tell me
I can help if you let me, baby,
Yes, I can
Why stand alone in the dark, open up your heart
Let it’s go, setit free, now my baby, talk to me now
What’s wrong, wrong with you…
I understand, that you’re only one man
So much you can take, baby
Yes, I understand that you’ve only got two hands
I see shadows of pain cross your face
You avoid my advice, you avoid my embrace, baby
Why dont you tell me
I wont tell a single soul, my, my, my, baby
Yeah, you gotta, I gotta, we gotta talk about it – uh
No doubt about it, uh
Let it go, ho-ho, set it free, hee, hee, hee – baby
Uh, I’d like to listen, huh, Id like to listen, ,baby, huh
Tell me everything, baby, babee – huh
I will understand, I will understand,
I promise, baby
Tell me now, tell me, huh, tell me
Oww-hey-hey, hey, hey-eee
I believe-hey-hey, baby
God almighty, baby, tell it all to me
Don’t cha hold nothin’ in , baby, don’t cha
Hold it baby